The road to fabulousness

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Here I am, starting yet another blog... There's already my personal one, a jewellery one, and a wishlist one - what's the purpose of this new blog? This is where I will share my kitchen adventures (and disasters) in the form of photos, recipes, and occasionally irrelevant commentary. It's not like anyone else does this in the blogosphere... Ha!

So who am I? I'm a Vancouverite who works as a secret agent by day and does a lot of putzing around by night. The life of a spy is really not that exciting: in my down time I sometimes make jewellery (see the shop), other times I watch TV (no reality shows, thank you), but mostly I just imagine how fabulous my life would be if I had more time to do creative things. Therefore, even though I don't cook, I am making myself make time for fabulousness by starting with a cake decorating class.

I signed up for the Wilton Course 1 at the local Michaels store and already attended the first class, where the instructor demonstrated how to prepare a cake for decorating. The homework for the week is to do the same and bring the prepared cake to the second class along with some coloured icing and various doodads. Michaels 40% coupons, I love you.

I have to add that the cake decorating road to fabulousness could turn into the cake decorating road to a buttercream body except there are two things working in my favour. First, I have been working out three times a week with Rachel, personal trainer extraordinaire and owner of Inner Fit Studios. She keeps me focused on health and physical activity and has helped me realize how sedentary my life has been since high school (which we went to together without realizing it). And second, I have wonderful friends who have volunteered to take the decorated cakes off my hands and ones who have been voluntold to do so (thanks Yvonne) so they don't end up in my belly. These are two very important things, indeed!

To close, tonight is when the baking and craziness commences and the next few weeks really will be a trial by sugar. Let's just hope I don't burn anything along the way!

0 comments:

About Aileen

  • LATEST TWEET: @heyelisse No, I was at VIFF earlier. And I've seen it before. Did you watch?
  • LATEST MOVIE: Renoir
  • LATEST CELEBRITY CRUSH: Rufus Sewell
  • LATEST SONG: Jasper Steverlinck - Life on Mars

About this blog

TRIAL BY SUGAR is an attempt to document the recipe hacks of an occasional kitchen elf.

My name is Aileen and although I am useless in the kitchen most of the time, I enjoy baking immensely. There is something magical about throwing together a mishmash of ingredients, adding heat, and ending up in something that is much more than the sum of its parts.

Sometimes I pick recipes that fit the items in my cupboard, other times it is the ones that come with the prettiest pictures or the most intriguing combination of ingredients. However, most of the time, an idea pops in my head and I just have to find a way to recreate it in baked form. No matter how the recipes are chosen, I seem to always need to bring them to life in a different way because I don't have all the ingredients or because something else in my cupboard desperately wants to join in the fun.

This means all of the recipes in this blog are not direct copies of someone else's work - they have all been modified slightly, a lot, or, in some cases, are completely mangled. They are faithfully recorded with accompanying commentary and photos, and are available for anyone to use!

   Blogger template by ourblogtemplates.com, but with some modifications of course.

Back to TOP