Bow cakes and more

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The last of my fondant and gum paste classes was about applying everything we had learned to our final project. For this class, we brought a baked cake to cover and decorate. This post will be photos of all the cakes from my classmates and the next will be about my baking adventures.

So this is my cake, which incorporates a bow I made in my first class. I used a bit of extra fondant to make little flower cut outs:


This is Melissa Misuraca's cake, where the fondant was dyed Christmas red. The little balls at the bottom edge really give the whole thing a beautiful finish, but it was very time consuming:


This bow cake was made by Safiya Kamani and I like how she added strips of white fondant to make the cake look more like a present wrapped with ribbon.


Here is Sharon Young's Christmas red bow cake, which incorporates inlaid hearts and flowers along with a white fondant fringe at the bottom:


Of course, some cakes were neither red nor pink... This is Gloria Lau's sky blue cake with daisies and polka dots:


And lastly, Liz Keres, my neighbour during class, made this fantastic Christmas cake. Even the little figurine is made with fondant!


Of course, I can't write about my classes without thanking the instructor, Anne Armitage, who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I can't wait to take another decorating class with her!

0 comments:

About Aileen

  • LATEST TWEET: @heyelisse No, I was at VIFF earlier. And I've seen it before. Did you watch?
  • LATEST MOVIE: Renoir
  • LATEST CELEBRITY CRUSH: Rufus Sewell
  • LATEST SONG: Jasper Steverlinck - Life on Mars

About this blog

TRIAL BY SUGAR is an attempt to document the recipe hacks of an occasional kitchen elf.

My name is Aileen and although I am useless in the kitchen most of the time, I enjoy baking immensely. There is something magical about throwing together a mishmash of ingredients, adding heat, and ending up in something that is much more than the sum of its parts.

Sometimes I pick recipes that fit the items in my cupboard, other times it is the ones that come with the prettiest pictures or the most intriguing combination of ingredients. However, most of the time, an idea pops in my head and I just have to find a way to recreate it in baked form. No matter how the recipes are chosen, I seem to always need to bring them to life in a different way because I don't have all the ingredients or because something else in my cupboard desperately wants to join in the fun.

This means all of the recipes in this blog are not direct copies of someone else's work - they have all been modified slightly, a lot, or, in some cases, are completely mangled. They are faithfully recorded with accompanying commentary and photos, and are available for anyone to use!

   Blogger template by ourblogtemplates.com, but with some modifications of course.

Back to TOP