A rose without thorns

Sunday, November 21, 2010

It's photos galore today! I attended the second session of the Wilton fondant and gum paste class and made roses, carnations, and calla lilies! Here's a photo of my favourite of the three:


We learned how to make the rose base in the first class and had to bring some today. They are shaped like teardrops and are stuck on a stick to allow the petals to be threaded through. I made a couple using spaghetti, which can be seen in the photo below. My goal was to dye the fondant a soft peachy pink, but it ended up hot pink.


We also learned how to do carnation bases during the first class and had to bring some today. This is the carnation I finished in class:



Here is another photo showing two carnation bases plus the finished flower...


As for the calla lilies, they were the easiest to make, but are rather plain. I originally wanted to make them dark purple, but got tired of adding dye to my fondant so it ended up bright red. Here is one finished calla and four more resting on cones:


Lastly, I made three more roses when I got home because I had a little extra fondant left and didn't want to forget the technique. They are resting in candy cups that have been threaded through upside down styrofoam cups. The candy cups help the petals hold their shape as they dry and on the left is a little makeshift styrofoam stand for my flower bases. The teardrop ones are for roses and the little round ones are for chrysanthemums, which I will learn to make next week!

0 comments:

About Aileen

  • LATEST TWEET: @heyelisse No, I was at VIFF earlier. And I've seen it before. Did you watch?
  • LATEST MOVIE: Renoir
  • LATEST CELEBRITY CRUSH: Rufus Sewell
  • LATEST SONG: Jasper Steverlinck - Life on Mars

About this blog

TRIAL BY SUGAR is an attempt to document the recipe hacks of an occasional kitchen elf.

My name is Aileen and although I am useless in the kitchen most of the time, I enjoy baking immensely. There is something magical about throwing together a mishmash of ingredients, adding heat, and ending up in something that is much more than the sum of its parts.

Sometimes I pick recipes that fit the items in my cupboard, other times it is the ones that come with the prettiest pictures or the most intriguing combination of ingredients. However, most of the time, an idea pops in my head and I just have to find a way to recreate it in baked form. No matter how the recipes are chosen, I seem to always need to bring them to life in a different way because I don't have all the ingredients or because something else in my cupboard desperately wants to join in the fun.

This means all of the recipes in this blog are not direct copies of someone else's work - they have all been modified slightly, a lot, or, in some cases, are completely mangled. They are faithfully recorded with accompanying commentary and photos, and are available for anyone to use!

   Blogger template by ourblogtemplates.com, but with some modifications of course.

Back to TOP